Sunday, November 8, 2009

what is trafficking?

In my college writing class, we're starting a big paper on a global issues. My group chose women trafficking, so for the next few blogs I'll be focusing more on that. Women trafficking is a global issue not many people are aware of. The definition of trafficking is the practice of people being tricked, lured, coerced, or otherwise removed from their home, and then compelled to work with low or no payment on terms which are highly exploitative. I hardly knew anything about this topic before we started, but i've learned so much. I thought this problem occured only in Europe, but we found out 50,000 women in the U.S. get trafficked every year. This was so shocking to me because I've never really heard about this before we started researching it. I also found out that overall, 4 million women are trafficked each year. I know there are some support groups trying to help this problem, but they need a lot more than that. Well this is all I have for now, but I'll be talking about this again when i get more information:)

No comments:

Post a Comment