Sunday, November 1, 2009

What are effects of teenage stereotyping?

Whether you like it or not, if you're a teen your have an automatic negative stereotpye. Teens are stereotpyed to cause problems, and do illegal things. Yes, some teens are like this, but not all. Adults don't realize this, and they treat all teens different just because of their age. I can think of many times i've experienced this. Many times my friends and I have gone shopping and we've noticed a worker following us around making sure we weren't stealing anything. This is a very common thing for workers to do. At first i found that very offensive, now I'm just used to it. I understand that some teens do steal, but it's sad that we have that stereotype and all of us get treated like we do. Most people think teens have high rates of violence, pregnancy, and sex. I found a website that says in recent years all three of those rates have gone down. It also said the percentage of students graduating now has significantly gone up from ten years ago. I know this stereotype is a hard one to change, but stereotypes are only as true as we decide to make them.

2 comments:

  1. OH, I just hate when that happens. That one Bridal Boutique in SouthPark mall is like that. I walk in and a bell goes off. This lady always runs up and follows me and whoever I'm with around. Store associates also stereotype races. Some might only follow African Americans. It is good that the rates have gone done though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to agree with Carly by saying I hate when that happens too! A lot of adults feel many teenagers are irresponsible and immature when it comes to a majority of things. Even my parents tend to fit into this category from time to time. I'll tell them I'm hanging out with friends or going to some type of social event and before I leave it seems like I get hounded with 20 questions about all of the specifics that they want to know about. I usually consider myself a pretty responsible kid when it comes to making good smart decisions. I haven't gotten in trouble for doing bad things except an occasional lie. Adults should give certain situations a second thought before they judge teens.

    ReplyDelete