Sunday, September 27, 2009

How do life experiences effect stereotyping?

Everything that happens in a persons life effects how they stereotype people and things. Life experiences can make both positive and negative stereotypes. This topic made me think about my grandpa. From his life experiences he thinks of a lot of things a lot different that I do. I realized how different we are just by the way we stereotype. An example is how he thinks of African Americans. Due to his life experiences he often assumes negative images of Afrian Americans rather than positive. My experiences are the complete opposite from his. I've had more positive life experiences with African Americans, so i don't have that stereotype against them at all. I find it interesting that our stereotypes are so different considering we've lived together for twelve years. Usually opinions rub off from your parents but this is all life experiences, so it's completely different.

6 comments:

  1. Wow, how true. This makes sense. How you view life instead of parental raising. I too have different views than my family. Wonder what your grandfather thought of an African American becoming president.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is very true Tyler. I can relate to your experience with stereotyping involving my parents and grandparents as well. For example my Dad's parents wouldn't let him date or bring an African American home. I also feel differently because I would have no problem with my child dating or having an African American home.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so true! It is so crazy that we can have such different views as our family just simply because we were raised in a different time! Hopefully, over time, the older generations can realize just because someone has a different skin color than them doesn't mean they are any different from them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can you be a bit more specific? What experiences have you had?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Everything you said is exactly right. I can also relate to this and I think it is wrong. I have very different views on stereotypes than my parents do. I like how you put a personal experience in your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This blog makes sense to me because my grandma has different views than I do too. For example, she hates any piercings besides the ear and also views African Americans differently than I do.

    ReplyDelete